Post Thanks / Like

Reusable seals/gaskets

I’m putting together a vvt5.7 test engine together (preferably on the cheap). My guess is it has ~100k miles in it.
    What gaskets/seals are reusable?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Cosmetic head gaskets are. They're pricey but have a very good reputation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.
    Likes DBL.DWN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely the valve cover, front timing cover, intake manifold / TB along with any other silicon / rubber-based units.

ChoohG; FWIW, a few years back, I helped a local with head R&R where the head supplier had used valve seals that failed almost immediately. With ~200Km on the clock, the end-user elected to reuse the Cometics. I didn't support this idea (good thing). Unfortunately, there was leak to the coolant passages...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 01-20-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks DBL.DWN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Definitely the valve cover, front timing cover, intake manifold / TB along with any other silicon / rubber-based units.

ChoohG; FWIW, a few years back, I helped a local with head R&R where the head supplier had used valve seals that failed almost immediately. With ~200Km on the clock, the end-user elected to reuse the Cometics. I didn't support this idea (good thing). Unfortunately, there was leak to the coolant passages...
    Thanks. Thats what i was thinking. How about the oil pan/windage tray?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Thanks. Thats what i was thinking. How about the oil pan/windage tray?
    f

Sure; the edge of the windage tray is rubberized so should still be pliable / compressible. To augment sealing integrity, apply a thin bead (1/16") of a quality gasket sealer both sides (on this interface only).
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes DBL.DWN liked this post