Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing 101

Post Thanks / Like
    lots of great info check out the video grinner made about drag racing
    http://grinnerhester.com/dragschool.mov

it takes a bit to load but the link works

:insert sig here

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly suggest that anyone not completely firmiliar with the sport & your cars capabilities LEAVE THE TRACTION CONTROL (ESP) ON!
    Being at an "official" event can get the adrenalan flowing and make it easy to try to drive beyond ones capabilities.
    Be safe, learn the sport and have fun.
    Former 2005 Magnum R/T Owner.
    2007 Moroso Mopar Challenge Champion.

Gils new (25 mpg) Retro Rod.......
    "The times they are a changin"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Excellent Post

Larry that is an Excellent Post, this would be great for KB for Beginners and the Novice of Drag Racing.... very well written.
    Beans to you sir.

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Mag Dr; 11-02-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Dave & Marilyn in Rio Rancho NM, 2016 Dodge Charger SXT plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I go to the Drag strip very much, but thanks for the info. I plan on taking my Charger to the strip so I'll be using this info.
    Mods: Big Bully/Spectre Cold Air Intake; R/T Exhaust;JDM Headlights; SRT Sways; Tinted Windows;Boston Accoustic Speakers and 10" sub, Crunch 500 watt power amp; KW V1 Suspension/Coilovers; Predator Tune; Fog Lights; 71mm TB and lower intake; HoneyComb grille; JBA Headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to kinda necro-post, but i have a question. Since the Challengers now have a manual, and I assume (incorrectly?) that the guide was given for automatics, how do you want to start with a manual.

I would think the whole stand on the brake and give it gas wouldn't work, as that would just be bad for the engine or spin the tires.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    great write up. i just want highlight something in the write up i wish i had read before my first time out.
    #1 know where the finish line is
    from experience, if you think the adrenalin is pumping at the starting line, its nothing compared to what pumps at the end of the track at 100+ and you thought you had more room to stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JTRipper View Post
    Sorry to kinda necro-post, but i have a question. Since the Challengers now have a manual, and I assume (incorrectly?) that the guide was given for automatics, how do you want to start with a manual.

I would think the whole stand on the brake and give it gas wouldn't work, as that would just be bad for the engine or spin the tires.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    JT, launching on a manual is a bit more complex as there are a few more variables to take into consideration and much more potential for shocking the drivetrain. There two primary factors are launch rpm (the rpm at which you begin to disengage the clutch) and the rate at which you disengage the clutch. A big heavy car like the Challenger and with the torque of the 5.7 I would start out in the area of 2500 rpms, letting the clutch out at a medium speed to provide a bit of a cushion for the street tires.

If you bog on the launch, try again at a higher launch rpm. The key here is you don't want to let the clutch out too slowly or you will risk burning it up.....too fast and you shock the driveline and it all goes up in smoke.

For the serious track star, a line lock mechanism, holding the front wheels while you do the burn out or stage at the lights would be a huge advantage.

Good luck.
    "Hell Yeah" Build Underway - 2011 Challenger with Drag Pak Whipple + Hellcat Shortblock + Comp 274 and let it eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize this is an old thread, but I just got here recently, and I just wanted to add one more thing you will need to do at the track. Pee.... Several times before your first race if I remember correctly.
    I spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles and fast women.

The rest I just wasted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Larry383.
    I will go to the strip this summer for the fisrt time ever, so this type of knowledge is really important for me to start my 1/4 mile fun, So thank you for imparting some of your knowledge.

I do have a question though, with our auto trannies, if I wanted to pre stage and do a good burn out, is it as simple as holding the brake to keep her steady and hitting the gas pedal? At what RPM would the rear tires start to spin?, should you reduce some of the brake pedal pressure to allow the rears to spin?
    BlueBee266
    K&N CAI, Jet 180Tstat, Predator,Magnaflow HF cats and cat back, Mopar strut brace, Billet catchcan, Eibach front and rear sway bars, Eibach ProStreet S Coil Overs, Pedders bump steer kit, Comp XFI273H-14 Cam, Comp Beehive valve springs, Arrington pushrods, SLP underdrive pulley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBee 6.1 View Post
    Great post Larry383.
    I will go to the strip this summer for the fisrt time ever, so this type of knowledge is really important for me to start my 1/4 mile fun, So thank you for imparting some of your knowledge.

I do have a question though, with our auto trannies, if I wanted to pre stage and do a good burn out, is it as simple as holding the brake to keep her steady and hitting the gas pedal? At what RPM would the rear tires start to spin?, should you reduce some of the brake pedal pressure to allow the rears to spin?
    I just started using drag radials (don't do a burnout on street tires) and the burnout was easier than I thought (with cam/heads/etc and water box). Just apply brakes firmly and gas it. I shift past 6000 rpm into second so I don't go into limp mode. As tires get hot they start to smoke and rpms drop. Let off brake smoothly and roll forward. You can adjust your right rearview mirror to check if your right rear spins (as that is the one that sometimes won't spin). You want both tires heated as otherwise you risk stressing only one halfshaft and breaking it.
    8's N/A? Been there done that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budoboy View Post
    I just started using drag radials (don't do a burnout on street tires) and the burnout was easier than I thought (with cam/heads/etc and water box). Just apply brakes firmly and gas it. I shift past 6000 rpm into second so I don't go into limp mode. As tires get hot they start to smoke and rpms drop. Let off brake smoothly and roll forward. You can adjust your right rearview mirror to check if your right rear spins (as that is the one that sometimes won't spin). You want both tires heated as otherwise you risk stressing only one halfshaft and breaking it.
    More likely the left tire will be the one not to spin, this is known as peg legging, lower mirror to watch for smoke, if not spinning, letup and right back down on the brakes to make the car move up a bit, should get both tires spinning. With DRs use the water box. But don't let the car shudder with warm or hot tires, also known as spin, grab, spin you can snap a half shaft that way.

Worlds first N/A stock motor LX Mopar 11sec.1/4mi. pass! Best SLB 11.660@117.63 1.70 60ft.
    Personal best time - heads, cam, ported intake, tune, 3,975#RW 11.071@126 1.51 60ft.

So far with 440 - 10.79 @ 128 mph

Billy Briggs 440 with Thiteks!
    Completed and installed at BFNY!
    Tamed at Hemituner Performance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jatee View Post
    great write up. i just want highlight something in the write up i wish i had read before my first time out.
    #1 know where the finish line is
    from experience, if you think the adrenalin is pumping at the starting line, its nothing compared to what pumps at the end of the track at 100+ and you thought you had more room to stop.
    Listen to this! It gets really scary when your on the brakes and your running out of room
    2005 Inferno Red Magnum RT
    Group I and II, sunroof, tow package, nav, sirius, Uconnect, auto headlights, 20" American Racing Torq-Thrust M Wheels, 245/45/R20 Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires, KW V2 coilover suspension, Hotchkis sway bars, Zoomers Cat Back Exhaust, Aria CAI. LED smoked tail lights. Shaved rear hatch. Pinstriping by 2-Stix. Custom painted palm tree headlights w\halos & painted fog lamps w\halos by AAC.
    Custom Billet Tech "palm tree" pieces
    And lots of little visual mods that make it ours!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to say thank you for this write up and the 3 pages of comments and additions. I went to the track 2 days ago for the first time and this thread was a big help. I had such a good time and even though I rarely won, I was very consistent. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello I have a 06 charger srt8, we have a company sponsered drag race night and I have never done it before so I enjoyed reading your article thanks for posting it.

It's been a few years since you wrote the article for tips and I wondered if you have changed anything with regard to launching by mashing the brakes and the throttle, I tried on the street last night some starts and when I mash it he way you described it in the article my srt8 lights them up big time no traction at all?? Should I turn off the esc fully buy holding he button for five seconds or just the normal esc off, or leave it on?

Thanks for all the info!
    Last edited by rcts; 08-21-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Part of my questions was answered in next page of thread I did not realize there were 2 more pages !

Post Thanks / Like
    turn it off and dont brak torque. Just punch it on the yellow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hVWxV5NWkk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLx7NJmeJE
    I'm still shootin, man!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread