Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Water pumps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    The same can be said for you. Dropped valve seats are only a very minor thing and not a serious issue, however because you have had a timing chain failure, suddenly it is a pandemic. As well, my belief that car manufacturers deliberately produce parts that last only as long as the warranty is not at all baseless. It is demonstrated by them all. If these were top notch parts we would all be driving around cars with 20year 500,000mile warranties. It is the simplest of logic that eludes you.
    As done so eloquently pointed out; Irrational and hyperbole - this time adding gross exaggeration

Last edited by Hemissary; Yesterday at 01:01 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    As done so eloquently pointed out; Irrational and hyperbole - this time adding gross exaggeration

LOL I knew you would give a cop out reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    LOL I knew you would give a cop out reply.
    Did you read the thread or were you just skimming looking to marginalize? Members contributed real information showing the water pumps on these engines offer an excellent service life. No one submitted a response stating otherwise. Kinda adds credence to what I'm pointing out - dontcha think?

More to the point, some of the mileage figures that have been posted blows your baseless theory of planned obsolescence - right outta the water :^D
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Try and resist the urge to waste money on a baseless notion that somehow you're doing yourself a favor by replacing parts that are demonstrating their serviceability.

Tough to answer. I know that if I open up the front of my engine I will be carefully inspecting up close the modifications I performed in order to deal with what I believe is first based on engine rpm changes that causes the main tensioner assembly to flex that then causes the end of the leaf spring fingers to dig into the bottom NYLON stops / retainers molded into the tensioner. Eventually, the leaf springs work through and drop down causing the upper fingers to depart their(!) securing stops.

Once this happens dynamic chain tension is significantly less or zero, exacerbating the flexing action due to chain whip. The leaf springs, now loose and able to disassociate themselves from the tensioner then get caught in the chain / lower crankshaft drive gear that destroys them. This action puts an increased (unknown magnitude) load on both front cam / crank bearing interfaces as (spring steel) leaf spring debris is compressed between the chain and the gear assembly.

I've had someone else's engine apart that has experienced this failure mode. At least on that engine's bearing interfaces, there was no visible or measureable changes. So it appears to be enough chain slack - once the tensioner fails - to absorb the loading when leaf spring debris is broken up by the chain / gear interface.

Aftermarket camshafts with significantly more aggressive ramps and lift vectors automatically increases flexing at the tensioner. This accelerates those leaf springs ability to cut into their bottom stops.

The question is why some engines modded or not modded (untouched OEM engines) - might or might not experience this type of failure mode. The main uncontrolled variables are spring steel leaf spring Quality Control (proper percentage of low manganese / medium to high carbon steel alloys, proper heat treating, curvature versus loading), aftermarket camshafts that exacerbate the issue, where in the rpm range engines spend most of their time (idle / lumpy idle being the worst case scenario).

As to chain wear; under normal circumstance is a non-issue. OEM camshaft chains are over-built to start with, especially given they are turning a camshaft with rollers. A long time ago I saw someone try to explain away a used chain that would become stiff and / or jam up when flexed in the opposite direct to normal operation. That in very simple terms is grossly misleading. So the chain along with drive / driven gears should be fine.

If you have the timing cover off for any reason, I suggest looking VERY closely at the leaf springs and where they are captured by the NYLON tensioner. If you see any evidence of NYLON material being carved out, replace it. Note that you can remove the leaf springs from the tensioner to have a proper looksee.

Otherwise, given the known issues / failures with pre-08' tensioners, replace the entire tensioner assembly.

I cant tell you when. Its more difficult when it is a lengthy process to inspect. I modified my timing cover to allow me to look inside anytime I want with a boroscope: GEN III Inspection Ports (so - so good).

With this, if putting a cam in a higher mileage car then all that should be needed to be replaced is the tensioner?

Mopar CAI, Mopar Performance Torque Converter, MTCM, Tranzformer, 170 stat, Diablo 93 CAI tune + 5% fuel, RT Junkey’s ESP Mod, JBA shorties, cat delete thru Thrush Rattlers, UPR Catch Can, Eibach lowering springs, Mopar rear diffuser, Mopar front chin, Hurst T handle. 07 AWD Charger RT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickawd View Post
    With this, if putting a cam in a higher mileage car then all that should be needed to be replaced is the tensioner?
    Possibly; the Factory Service Manuals drive valid decisions based on inspection / specifications and measurement as opposed to gut feelings :^)

Too many aftermarket camshafts to count have been installed without removing the heads and replacing the lifters. But the tensioner plate is a known issue, with no design update. The consequences of failure can include bent valves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly; the Factory Service Manuals drive valid decisions based on inspection / specifications and measurement as opposed to gut feelings :^)

Too many aftermarket camshafts to count have been installed without removing the heads and replacing the lifters. But the tensioner plate is a known issue, with no design update. The consequences of failure can include bent valves.
    Yes, definitely replacing tensioner plate. I thinking about chain stretch as to possibably replacing the chain. I thought the gears could be good to go.
    of course go through an inspection. Am I wrong here?

Mopar CAI, Mopar Performance Torque Converter, MTCM, Tranzformer, 170 stat, Diablo 93 CAI tune + 5% fuel, RT Junkey’s ESP Mod, JBA shorties, cat delete thru Thrush Rattlers, UPR Catch Can, Eibach lowering springs, Mopar rear diffuser, Mopar front chin, Hurst T handle. 07 AWD Charger RT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickawd View Post
    Yes, definitely replacing tensioner plate. I thinking about chain stretch as to possibably replacing the chain. I thought the gears could be good to go.
    of course go through an inspection. Am I wrong here?
    Make sure it is a tensioner plate meant for 6.1 engines. One way of confirming for yourself would be to measure the tensioner's position from the tensioner face across to the pin back hole, then pin the tensioner back to create slack, remove the chain / gear assembly only, re-install with a new chain. Then re-measure. The advantage here is measuring actual chain slack - old versus new. There is no book value but its a great demonstration :^)

Not sure you can buy a chain (only) without the gear assembly...

Post Thanks / Like
    That's funny coming from a dolt that "rebuilt" his engine, reused his intake, didn't replace bearings, only replaced the damaged piston - then pissed and moaned because it grenaded again.

Funny coming from a guy that says parts have a zero percent failure rate such as the op's water pump. Why change all the bearings, they had a zero percent failure rate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234