Thread: Bad Light Mods.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad Light Mods.

I recently had the opportunity to repair the lights, on a forum members headlight switch. He asked me to take a look at it, after he went elsewhere (I won't say where), to have his lights modded to orange. His complaint was that he had dead spots.

Now, I've received these kind of requests, in the past, and I've repaired them. This time, I want to show you what these IG and FB guys are doing to your cars.

I regret not taking pictures of the before, but let's just say less than 50% of the panel lit up. It was bad.

As soon as I opened it up, the drama began. I was greeted with huge 5mm through hole leds and 2 watt resistors... all over the place.

The sad part is that this guy probably charged a pretty penny, to do this level of damage. Yes...damage. I've seen this before... where they can't figure out how to mod the fog light button, so they cut out the bottom of the dimmer. This guy did a proper hack job.

He actually cut off a large chunk of the dimmer, that anchors it to the circuit card.

He wove the leads of the resistors, like a spider's web, on top of, under, through and over the side edges of the circuit card... even between the dimmer and the circuit card.

He apparently is of the opinion, with solder, that the bigger the blob, the better the job. There were several points, on the board, that I don't know how it didn't short out. Most guys use some electrical tape, when they do this... this guy didn't care enough to even do that.

What a shame.

I removed the dimmer and all of his "work"... leaving a clean slate.

I installed four SMD LEDs and properly rated resistors and called it a day.

Heres a look at the finished product.

Take a look at my BAD MODS page, to see what these jokers are doing, in their garage, or on their kitchen table. I've invested over $5k in test equipment and supplies, to do this right... at my shop. I've even ran across someone on IG totally ripping off my mods. Don't be fooled... stick with the original. Over 10 years of light and electronic mods, for the LX, LC, WK platforms.

Check it:
    Bad Mods

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    Last edited by diboblo; 05-23-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Thanks Carpaltomo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for showing us what can happen with hack jobs.

I’ll have to message you about what LEDs you use s as the ones I used have started to flicker in my climate control. Bad Light Mods. it’s like a little light show at night. I feel like I was in a club. Bad Light Mods.

Sent from my tricorder
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpaltomo View Post
    Thanks for showing us what can happen with hack jobs.

I’ll have to message you about what LEDs you use s as the ones I used have started to flicker in my climate control. Bad Light Mods. it’s like a little light show at night. I feel like I was in a club. Bad Light Mods.

Sent from my tricorder
    Nine times out of ten, it's attributed to cold solder joints. Try going back and re-soldering them.

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Likes Carpaltomo, 08toredrt liked this post