Post Thanks / Like

The Dodge 440 Magnum Six Pack

The Dodge 440 Magnum Six Pack

Dodge history is rich with memorable and mind-blowing engines. Here’s yet another powerhouse under the hood: the 440 Magnum Six Pack.

Introduced in 1969, the Six Pack took its name from its wild induction system: three giant Holley two-barrel carburetors, providing six throttle valves in all. Factory engineers took the already muscular 440 Magnum engine, removed the single four-barrel carburetor and intake manifold and swapped in a special high-rise manifold to accommodate the triple carbs. Capable of flowing over 1,200 cubic feet of air per minute, the Six Pack setup produced an intimidating roar when the throttle was cracked open.

Additional performance features included HEMI® valve springs and a recalibrated ignition distributor with dual breaker points. In final production tune, the Six Pack was rated at 390 hp at 4,700 rpm and a massive 490 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,200 rpm. In the Dodge lineup, it was second in output only to the mighty 426 HEMI.

To unveil the hot new engine to the public, a special model of the 1969 Dodge Super Bee was developed. Named the Super Bee Six Pack, the car sported a fiberglass hood with flat black paint and plain black wheels with no hubcaps. The Six Pack was a huge success in the showrooms—the package offered performance surprisingly close to the 426 HEMI, but at around half the additional cost.

For 1970 and 1971, the Six Pack engine was expanded in availability to include the Dodge Coronet R/T, Charger and Challenger, only to be discontinued completely for 1972. Today the Six Pack is considered one of the greatest engines of the muscle-car era.
    dave
    site admin
    Likes LXON02, fnkychkn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I owned two of these 440 six pack cars. A 1969 Dodge Super Bee and later, a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT. I bracket raced the Super Bee regularly at Orange County Raceway. With nothing more than a set of headers, 3.91 gears, a set of M&H slicks and a little bit of carb tuning, it regularly ran in the 12 second bracket. If I remember correctly, my best was something like 12.79 at 113 mph. No other mods. The trick to making these cars run, was the vacuum diaphragms on the two ends carbs. Open them too early and you'd bog, too late and not enough power on the top end. Never raced the Challenger.
    Wish I'd have kept one of them.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing my first Super Bee with this motor. It was at the track, new, sticker in the window and ran 12 seconds. Yup, it got a lot of attention! I was helping my friend race his 1965 Shelby GT350R. Shelby had slicks and the motor was cammed so hot it would barely idle below 4,000 rpms and ran high 12's. Super Bee creamed him without even trying. BTW, has anyone seen the "Hemi under Glass" intake for the Rams from Vararam? I just put one on mine. Copied that air cleaner! I think if you look closely, thats a six pack she's sporting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by formerice; 03-14-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec LT Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, , 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 2017 CC Big Horn Ram 4X4 EcoDiesel. Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on my third Magnum. Current is a 2008 BBlack RT Road & Track with 54,000. Last fall it replaced a 2005 Mineral grey RT with 209,000 bought new in June 2004. (Retired by "totaled"). My first one was not exactly a scatpacker - a 1969 Polara retired from the Calif Highway Patrol. Had 65,000 miles on the clock, cost $1700 and had that great 440 magnum engine (luuuved by the petroleum producers! A constant 8 MPG). This was the last year before they started detunning for smog. What fun as my daily driver - especially as it replaced my '63 Corvair Monza. It was the fastest CHP car until the 5.0s hit the road. I went out to head for work one morning and it wouldn't fire. Opened the hood - the twin snorkel air cleaner along with the 440 Magnum cover were missing along with the plug wires!
    Last edited by Kenellislx; 03-14-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Words

Post Thanks / Like
    Those were the good old days, cheap gas & lots of horsepower................

Bob

My 69' Super Bee:

Bob in Ocala, Florida, 77 years old - married 56 years. Sold my 05' Magnum RT which ended up being totaled. My new ride is a 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE. Time to go up.
    Likes formerice liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great moment in Mopar history. I wish they'd go all out again before we are locked down by big brother.

The Really Old: Stock 5.7 Bottom End | Lead Foot | 11.861 @ 112.76 1.63 60'
    The Old
    : Forged Arrington 6.1 | MMPG Top End | Paramount Drivetrain | 11.67
    The New:
    6.1 based 392 | 3.6L Kenne Bell | Thitek Heads | Paramount Trans/'Verter | DSS 9"/Axles/CF Driveshaft | 10.21 @134
    Likes formerice liked this post

Share This Thread