Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dodge Challenger Demon has Anti Lag and the Ringtone Cometh!

By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial

Demon has Anti Lag and the Ringtone Cometh

The 10th teaser announcement on the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon was released today and this week, we learn about a high tech engine management system which has never been offered on any factory road car ever – one which will allow the new Demon to leave the starting line with more power while reaching the peak powerband earlier in the run.

The 2018 Demon will be the first ever production road car to come equipped with a torque reserve system, or, as it is better known in the drag racing world – an anti-lag system. Anyone who has spent time around any high performance forced induction cars at the drag strip (particularly turbocharged vehicles) is likely familiar with the anti-lag system, but for those who are not, here is a quick rundown of what the system is, what is does and how it works.

The problem with every supercharged engine is that it takes a certain level of engine RPM for the supercharger to spin fast enough to reach peak boost levels. For example, when you launch from a stop with a Hellcat Challenger, it takes a few seconds for the engine to reach peak boost and peak power levels. This period of time between the launch and peak boost is called boost lag, and it is one of the biggest problems when drag racing a forced induction car.

The Demon’s torque reserve system reduces boost lag by allowing the engine to rev higher when sitting at the starting line, so compared to a Hellcat Challenger, the Demon will launch at higher boost and power levels.

How does it work, you ask? Well, when a Demon driver activates Launch Assist and pulls into the staging beams, he or she will begin to bring engine RPMs up. When the engine tops 1000rpm, the torque reserve system engages, closing the supercharger bypass and allowing boost pressure to build with engine RPM. Once the bypass has closed, the engine computer adjusts fuel flow and spark timing to bring up engine RPM while keeping power levels low via a lightning-quick cylinder deactivation system. Since only some of the cylinders are firing at full power during the anti-lag period, power levels are low enough that the car is easier to keep at the line while providing less stress to the transmission or driveline. However, since engine RPM is increasing, boost pressure increases with it and when the light turns green and the driver launches, the system disengages.

When that happens, the Demon rips away from the line with higher boost levels than a car without the anti-lag system, which allows the engine to make more initial torque early in the run while also reaching peak boost and peak power levels more quickly.

While the sole purpose of the Demon’s anti-lag system is to improve low end power levels and short times on the drag strip, the way that the system deactivates alternating cylinders creates a unique exhaust tone with a sharp stutter due to the power being cut. To show off this unique exhaust sound, Dodge has a ringtone available on IfYouKnowYouKnow.com featuring the sound of the new Challenger SRT Demon launching with the torque reserve system.

Also, as you can see in the image above, this week’s teaser information is accompanied by a new teaser image of the Demon license plate with new mystery math. I don’t have any idea what it might mean, so if you do, share your input in the forum!

Last edited by MagnumClub; 03-16-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    dave
    site admin
    Thanks HWDan thanked for this post
    Likes Beach Goat, Big RobsR/T liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any guess on what the license plate means? I've already seen people guessing 3.9L supercharger and 221mph top speed and 405 cubic inches
    2009 Stone White Challenger R/T 6-Speed
    D1 w/ Stage 2 Intercooler||180 Jet Tstat||85mm ported throttle body||Petty's Garage Strut Brace
    ARH Longtubes||Corsa Sport Exhaust||Diablotoona email tune

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumClub View Post
    The Demon’s torque reserve system reduces boost lag by allowing the engine to rev higher when sitting at the starting line, so compared to a Hellcat Challenger, the Demon will launch at higher boost and power levels.

Lets see Tesla beat this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Anti lag system - me gusta . . .mucho . . .

5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'
    6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started

Post Thanks / Like
    Anti-Lag has me, once again. anxiously awaiting more. What a toy!
    I imagine myself sitting at a stop light beside a police cruiser. A little before the light is about to turn I amp up the rpm's and look over to the officer, who looks back at like must have lost my mind. Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop... When the light turns green I launch like a prius... and just smile.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2017 Go Mango Challenger T/A
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2015 Charger Hellcat #0771

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    " lightning-quick cylinder deactivation system"

A genius use of MDS! LOL, launch in 4 cylinder mode to build up boost pressure! I can see the "drone" complaints coming now LOL
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I timed the ringtone from launch to the end with a simple stopwatch. I get consistently under 9 seconds every time.

Could be?
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!
    Likes sstevens805, S. Artee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll guess and say it will be a mid 9 second car in good conditions.

If that car hits the 8's Dodge will have to include a jar of vaseline in the Demon Crate to soothe all the butt hurt that will commence at tracks across the land.

7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started

Post Thanks / Like
    Anti-Lag? That is extremely impressive and is going to make for some ridiculous drag times in bone stock form.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Watching the video , I think they drop some cylinders at the line and relight them after the launch. Havent heard of lag with a supercharger. But then again this car is something.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will not be a sub-10 second car from the factory, because Dodge doesn't want to require every owner to install a cage to track the car. Now, that doesn't mean it won't be trivial to get to those times.
    Likes HULK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RobsR/T View Post
    Any guess on what the license plate means? I've already seen people guessing 3.9L supercharger and 221mph top speed and 405 cubic inches
    I don't have a lick of insider knowledge, but 6.6 liters.... I'm not sure about that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that about the roll cage too, now I'm thinking they will leave it up to the owner to deal with and it's gonna run the number. Showroom stock and in the 9's! Dodge Challenger Demon has Anti Lag and the Ringtone Cometh! Dodge Challenger Demon has Anti Lag and the Ringtone Cometh!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
    This will not be a sub-10 second car from the factory, because Dodge doesn't want to require every owner to install a cage to track the car. Now, that doesn't mean it won't be trivial to get to those times.
    I am with you in I haven't seen how they are addressing the cage issue (other than leaving it up to the owner) since that harness bar in the back isn't going to do it but I can't see how this car won't hit 9's or 135 MPH.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread